Mobile Film Challenge
Mobile Film Challenge is a 48-hour mashup of crash course film school and film festival, where you and your team create a short film in just two days!
Have a mobile phone? You can be a filmmaker!
Ever want to make your own film? We’ll teach you how. Film experts will teach you the basics from start to finish: writing, producing, shooting, editing. Then you and your team will go out and use your newfound knowledge to create a 2 minute short film. At the end of the event we’ll break out the popcorn, screen all the films, and party.
Event Booklet (PDF)
1. All footage has to be shot using a mobile phone or tablet (e.g. iPad). You can't use a video camera!
2. All footage has to be shot during the challenge. You can't bring previously shot footage!
3. The final film must be 2 minutes or less. Your film can not be longer than 2 minutes. Period.
4. Don't be a jerk! This is an event put on by the community, for the community. Enjoy!
Breaking these rules will disqualify your film, and your film will NOT BE SHOWN.
The audience will vote on the winners for each category.
SATURDAY 09:30 Doors Open 09:45 Introduction 10:00 TALK: Overview of making a film. Preproduction 10:30 TALK: Storytelling. Script. Storyboard 11:00 ACTIVITY: Create story, storyboard 11:30 LUNCH 12:00 TALK: Shooting 12:30 ACTIVITY: Create shot list 13:00 TALK: Sound 13:30 TALK: Editing Teams are shooting their films SUNDAY Teams are shooting and editing their films 11:30 TALK: Editing Demonstration (Windows Movie Maker) 11:45 TALK: Editing Demonstration (iMovie) 12:00 LUNCH Teams are editing their films 17:00 Films must be submitted! 18:00 Film screenings begin! 19:00 Film awards
Story / Idea
This is figuring out what you want to shoot.
- This is the story written out.
- This is the story drawn out like a comic, in chronological order.
- This is the list of shots, done in logistical order.
- There is too much to say on all of these.
- This is no joke.
- Keep things simple!
- You don't have much time.
- Decide on this quick
- Be friendly! This is supposed to be fun
- Exchange contact information right away
PHONE / TABLET
- Check phone settings before recording
- Check sound after every good take
- Bring extra batteries
- Bring extra charging cables
- Bring something to handle extra storage (maybe delete some photos first)
- Have a backup phone
- Use the Reflector
- Use the Boom pole for sound
COMPUTER / LAPTOP
- Download the editing software early and install it
- Test transferring files from your phone to your computer early!
- Have enough space to work on large files
Whatever you can use to record sound.
- Voice Memo - This should already be installed.
- Audio Recorder (from Sony) Download on Andorid Play Store
- Audacity - http://audacityteam.org/download/ - Best sound editor.
Android (to Mac)
- Android File Transfer - Use this to connect your android phone to your Mac
Transferring between different video formats